Bump to Motherhood

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Why I'm Going to be a Doula

Thought it would be a good idea to explain my passion for bumps, births, babies, motherhood and doulas!

I had my son when I was 17, it wasn't planned and his dad left me about 1/2 way through my pregnancy. To say it was tough would be an understatement but I struggled on and did my best. My birth wasn't the best, although I slept through the worst of the boring wait, when it came to the nitty gritty it went from bad to worse. At the time I was young and scared. Although my mum was there (just! she had to travel back from Wales - my sister's graduation!!) I didn't know what was happening or what I wanted. None of the staff spoke to me or talked me through it and I spent most of it sucking on the gas and air to try and block out the pain. I was tired and the baby was getting distressed. The ruputured my waters, oxygen, episiotimy and forceps later, Jake was born weighing 8lb 2oz.

Years later I met James and we started trying for a baby. I was ready for a baby and planning it made it so much more relaxed! I couldn't believe the difference! I researched quite a lot to get pregnant and whilst I was pregnant. Someone mentioned homebirths on a forum I used. I really liked the sound of it. The personal touch to giving birth. After lots of talking and research with James we decided to go for it.

The experience of a relaxed, well-informed birth was simply amazing. I never ever thought it would be quite like that. We were fully prepared and I truly believe this made it the experience it should be, one of a lifetime. Unfortunately with the stretched nhs, over-worked and underpaid midwife's the personal and one to one care can be lost, through no fault of their own I might add. Knowing what I know now, I want to share it with other mums to be, help them on their journey and give them the chance to enjoy both their pregnancy and birth, as well as their first few weeks as a mother. Every birth will grow my knowledge and every day I talk more, read more, learn more and once I have completed my training course I will also be attended further seminars and training days.

A friend told me a while back that I would make a great doula after I helped her with her and other friend's babies. I also started up my own website helping mums with weaning www.babybanana.biz dedicated to Baby Led Weaning.

I looked into it some more and more. I found the nuturing birth website and called and spoke to Valerie at length about my passion of become a doula. The nearest and soonest course to me is in september so that is the one I have booked. There aren't many Doulas in Northampton, especially compared to the high demand in the south. I'm hoping that with word of mouth and good birth-doula stories more and more women will know about the option of having the emotional and physical support of a doula.

I will be training as an antenatal, birth and postnatal doula.

No comments: