Bump to Motherhood

Monday, July 23, 2007

Which book first????

I ordered 2 books to read and they arrived this morning. I'm quandry as to which one to start with! lol!

Birth Reborn, What childbirth should be like by Michel Odent

"Combining the roles of romatic, philosopher, surgeon and obstetrician as only a frenchman coul... many of (Michel Odent's) theories have changed the way childbirth is viewed and conducted" The Times

"This is the man who has made childbirth a delightful, natural experience for so many women." Nursery World.

OR

The New Experience of Childbirth by Sheila Kitzinger

"A woman of remarkable insight, with a sharp and often very witty tongue" Leslie Kenton, Harpers & Queen

"She is the Earth Mother, or Birth Mother of the nation. If Britain is now one of the most progressive countries in obstetric practice, it is largely due to her" Polly Toynbee, Guardian

To be honest I am intrigued by the idea of a man writing a book about the rebirth of birth so I think I may read that one first!

4 comments:

LJH said...

Read Michael Odent first. He's got some amazing ideas & things to say. I'm really looking forward to what you think.

Hannah Walker said...

Well I've flicked through both and am definitely gonna read that one first. When did you read it? did someone recommend it to you or did it just catch your eye?

LJH said...

I've not read his books but his work crops up time and time again when you start reading up on natural childbirth. I was planning a natural, mobile birth with Luke (didn't happen) and then when I was hoping for a VBAC it became really important (didn't happen either!) It will be invaluable when you are supporting women trying for a VBAC - there are so many restrictions that the medics try and impose that they are too robust about and a labouring woman can't always focus properly.

Are you lurking on BC's VBAC board? They have LOADS of info in the VITALS thread at the top of the page that is applicable to all women, c-section or not.

Hannah Walker said...

It's a fantastic book! I won't divulge too much as yet as I will write a post when I am finished but wow! everything just makes utter sense to me. Extrememly exhilarating and although I already know what an amazing thing the female body is, it makes me want to celebrate how amazing! lol