Bump to Motherhood

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Volunteer Doula Work

I had already read on the Doula UK site about the hardship fund and it had got me thinking about working with the under privileged. Having been young single mum years ago, I know how hard and confusing such a time can be. I'd love to be able to share what I know now with mums in a similar situation to help them have a better birth and enjoy their newborn.

Then this week as I was again "researching" lol (that's what I tell James!!) I found a Sure Start site that was offering something that in my opinion is a great project! The Newland Doulas have developed a pioneering project to recruit, train and match up volunteer Doulas with pregnant women who need support at what can be a lonely and difficult time. How fantastic is that?!?!

I have been in contact with Heather but at the moment they are the only sure start doing it. They will be broadening across the UK over the next year or so. Watch this space!

No comments: