Bump to Motherhood

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Caesarean Statistics

I was watching a birth programme this morning and heard the narrator say that 1in 5 births are done by caesarean today compared with 1 in 10 in 1980.

I couldn't help thinking how high that was so conducted a bit of research myself lol. This is due to the rise in elective caesareans. I found this article in The Observer "The increase in Caesareans has coincided with a growing shortage of midwives in the UK"

I personally don't undertstand why some people would elect a caesarean with no medical factors. I would support anyone that wanted to but personally think caesareans should be saved for emergencies, after all giving birth is what our amazing bodies were made to do.

I do know that many women have an emergency caesarean with their first child and go on to an elective caesarean for any subsequent babies. Years ago I thought this was a necessity but since my growing interest in birth I have read so much about VBAC - Vaginal Birth After Caesarean. It is possible and many women do it. There is more information on VBAC here - VBAC on Babycentre

What ever women decide, they should remember that they have a choice either way. Never be forced into doing something you're unsure of or uncomfortable with. Ask questions!!

5 comments:

Erica Douglas said...

Great advice, I had a c-section because I have crohn's, I was thankful for a safe birth.

www.littlemummy.com

eMummy said...

Hi there, I found your blog on the new blogring and thought I'd say hello! My friend had a c-section, and she had a much more hellish time than me (I had a normal vaginal birth) The idea of a c-section makes me **shudder** !! Anyways, be sure to come and check out my little blog sometime. I'm always looking for people to write articles for it, maybe you could write one about Doulas?
Frankie.x
www.myebaby.co.uk

Michelle said...

'I do know that many women have an emergency caesarean with their first child and go on to an elective caesarean for any subsequent babies. Years ago I thought this was a necessity but since my growing interest in birth I have read so much about VBAC - Vaginal Birth After Caesarean. It is possible and many women do it.'

What about the emotional side of things? I imagine to go through labour for it to end in an emergency section is quite traumatic.

My son was born by ventouse after a long labour. I really thought that I had lost him when he was taken away to another room having not yet cried. The problem was casued by shoulder dystocia.

When I was pregant with DD I was almost forced into having an elective section, I did lots of research with suggested that a section was the safest option.

The elective section was fab, DD was born and placed onto my chest where she breastfed instantly. My physical recovery was a lot quicker than when DS was born as was the emotional side of things. I bonded with DD in the first few hours of her life, with DS it took me about five months.

If I was to have another child I would seriously consider having an elective section again.

Hannah Walker said...

Hi Chell,
When there are problems in previous births it is bound to affect mums emotionally and physically and I can understand why women opt for a caesarean but it isn't the "only" option. The ones I meant I don't understand are the ones that elect for a caesarean with no known problems or bad experiences. But that is just my personal opinion doesn't make it wrong or right.

I had a very scarey labour with my ds (wrote about it further down) and it did affect me and how I felt about birth but I guess in the other direction to the point I wanted to be in more control naturally. That is why I believe in doulas so much, they are there to support women emotionally and physically every step of the way.

It must have been really scarey to have thought you'd lost your son. I often think about the postnatal support following traumatic births and how it could be bettered after hearing my friends upsetting stories and experiences. This is all I want to do is help women have the birth they want and support them postnatally as much as I can. I don't know about you but after my son was born I felt like I'd just been "left" to deal with everything on my own, whilst trying to deal with the traumatic birth, breastfeeding and everything else.

Em said...

Too long to write so linked the story http://billysdiary.com/2007/07/06/my-birth-plan-and-what-actually-happened-beware-its-a-long-one-and-it-could-put-you-off-giving-birth/

i dont remember any of it, so not that traumatic. Next time round, i will be going for natural!

Em x