Bump to Motherhood

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A friend's Vaginal Twin Birth Story

I was booked for induction at 37 weeks. However at 36+4 weeks in the early hours of 17th April 2006, my waters broke! I woke up my husband and got myself sorted whilst waiting for his mum to arrived.

We had to go to Dundee to have them as they were twins and that was where special care was. My contractions were every 3 minutes, lasting a minute. This was 45 minutes after my waters had gone.

At first they weren't going to let me deliver them as special care was full. After a bit of a discussion it was decided that I would be allowed to have them in Dundee as it was too risky to move me.

Was 4cms dilated by myself and started entonox. Was given the dreaded epidural and managed a little sleep. Eventually it was time to start pushing. There were 2 midwives and a medical student at this point. I had a scan to check Jamie's position as he was breech. Not any more!! He'd turned head down. After a while of pushing and having problems feeling where to push due to the epidural, something clicked and Rachel Eve was born. The hormone drip was started to get the contractions started again. It took a while to get Jamie out as I couldn't feel where to push. It got a bit scary as I could hear his heartrate dropping. At this point there were now 12 people in the room. I was threatened with the ventouse if my next push didn't work. Something clicked and out flew Jamie Alexander, 38 minutes after his sister.

After all the worry neither of them needed to go to special care.

Had a lovely wash, tea and toast, cuddles and lots of phonecalls and photos.

No comments: